I’ve seen a lot of talk on social media about people being upset that their animal is deathly afraid of fireworks. No matter what, as soon as a little boom goes off, the dog/cat is instantly freaking out.
Of course, you don’t want to leave them at home, and you don’t want them to be in a constant state of terror while fireworks are going off tonight.
Here are a few things that might be able to calm your pet’s nerves for the time being…
- Go on a longer than normal walk. Exercise will tire them out.
- Make sure blinds, curtains, windows, etc. are all closed
- Choose the quietest room in the house. If you have a basement, that is perfect.
- Turn on anything that will drown out the noise of fireworks. TV, music, A/C, fan…
- If all else fails, maybe talk to your vet about sedation.
- It will always be much better for your pet if you are home! Cuddle/play some games with your fur baby.