The question of spanking comes up all the time. Do you spank or do you refrain from corporal punishment? As a recent study shows, there is more acceptance to spanking than you may realize.
Harris Poll just released its most recent findings from a poll they conducted about the subject of spanking. Some of the takeaways were as follows:
- 86% of respondents have been spanked.
- 81% of parents find spanking to be appropriate in certain situations
- Less than 20% of parents think it is completely inappropriate to spank at all
- 2/3 of parents of parents have actually spanked their children, while 1/3 had not ever
- 25% have said they feel spanking is deemed “too violent”
- 67% of parents who feel spanking at home is appropriate, they DO NOT feel it is appropriate for teachers to spank their children (As a side note: 19 state still use Corporal Punishment in the Public School system)
- If you believe that spanking is appropriate, it could have a lot to do with where you live:
- The South: 62% approval
- The Midwest: 31% approval
- The West: 19% approval
- The East: 13%
- The USA, as a whole: 42% approval
- 28% of states have outlawed spanking by anyone, for any reason
- 30% of 1-year olds have been spanked
The acceptance of spanking has gone down slowly over the past 30 years. Interesting to see what others think of spanking. How about you?