If you are a dog owner, you probably already know this. You befriend your canine companion.
But wait, there is more to this. Your dog may be the reason you aren’t hanging out with your friends. Not kidding, after dogs are known to be the most common service animal, because they help with anxiety, stress, the loss of a loved one, seasonal depression, relationship break ups and a laundry list of emotionally stressful problems.
According to a new study, your fur baby:
- Helps you get through about 5 stressful events per week
- 82% of dog owners experience an lift in their overall emotional health because they own a dog
- 40% of those in the study have seen their dog as the one friend who has helped them get through the loss of a loved one
- Over 50% of respondents say their dog’s happiness when they return home gives them an emotional lift of extreme happiness
- 88% of people say their dogs make them a better person, overall
- 68% of dog owners say their dog has given them a noticeable improvement their physical health
- 62% say dogs give them a reason to leave the house
- 2/3 of people say their dog motivates them to exercise regularly
- 55% say their dog shows them unconditional love
- 81% in the survey say they talk to their dog like a friend, with 71% claiming they tell their dog things that no one else knows
- 78% make life decisions based on the well-being of their dog, with 80% dropping a relationship if their canine and love interest don’t get along
- 75% say they don’t like being away from their dog
All of this is a great indicator that if you have a friend who has a dog, may choose a night in to spend with their pet over you. Loyalty, emotional and health benefits, coupled with unconditional love are pretty good reasons.
What say you?