This past weekend, I ran across an article that made to think deeply about my domesticated pet…my cat. She was a stray at one time who ended up at the Humane Society. She looked like she needed me and my love…I think I was lulled into her sense of command. As I have come to learn, from this article, I am the one who is domesticated at the teachings of my feline friend.
The writer broke down the various ways, that my furry friend has taken over every aspect, of not only my life, but every aspect of everyone’s life…including those who do not
own befriend co-habitate with the cats.
The list goes like this:
- World Domination: The point here is that there are over 160 million cats in the US and the majority are feral. Worldwide, cats almost double the number of canine companions.
- They are the boss of the house…always: They demand attention. They demand food. They demand to be played with. They demand…well, they just demand everything. Dogs at least beg or ask in a playful way. Cats, no, we are at their beckon call. It’s like working with Lumberg from Office Space.
- No heirarchy: Every animal in the animal kingdom knows who is boss. Who runs the group and who the top of the food chain. Cats, not so much. Sure, they are social, but they really don’t care who’s boss.
- The litter box: The illustrious litter box has a history…and yes, humans did it FOR the cat, so they would be more comfortable INSIDE the home.
- Hunting: Even domesticated, they teach their young to hunt and pass along that trait for the next generation. Amazingly, this has not waned over the years, considering they don’t need the skill, when they live inside.
- How we fall victim: They are cute as kittens and we can’t help but want to help them. Especially when they are hurt or malnourished.
- The love-hate relationship: Cats were worshiped throughout history and are still celebrated in many cultures today…and they seem to know this and expect it from everyone.
- The last kitten: When you have to say goodbye to your cat, but see that kitten and swear THIS is the last kitten…ya, right
So now that you get the picture, this article is pretty long, but quite entertaining…and enlightening.
Check it out here