That app, specifically, is Google Maps. Google Maps have compiled a pretty good list of off-beat places that are haunted, just in time for Halloween…and yes, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri, we have a few within a few hours drive.
- Vilisca, Iowa: The Vilisca Ax Murder House
- This is a favorite of ghost hunters and there are a lot of YouTube videos to prove there are ghost still haunting the home.
- People have called the name of the children who were killed in the home and one person asked them to turn his flashlight on and off…and they did.
- There are reports of cold spots in the house, that come and go
- And of course, the ghosts that have been seen on camera on YouTube
- Midlothian, IL: Bachelor’s Grove Cemetery
- Yes, it is a cemetery, and THAT alone is creepy
- There have been reports of orbs of light floating around the graves
- Of course, it’s a cemetery. The place has ghosts…and lots of them.
- Chicago, IL: Jane Addams-Hull House
- The story goes that Mrs. Charles Addams (not Jane, that is the daughter), who founded the home, died there and has been seen haunting the kitchen.
- After Jane took over, a deformed child was born there that resembled a devil and then went missing. The devil baby has been spotted looking out of the attic window.
- There are also women who haunt the bedrooms where they resided, when the Hull House was a poor-house.
- There are women seen in the fountain.
- The most famous is the man walking upstair and moving the chandelier as he goes up.
- St. Louis, MO: The Lemp Mansion
- This place is known to be one of the most haunted places in the country.
- You can take the tour, but if you are brave enough, you can stay the night. I guess it depends on how brave you are…or aren’t
- Supposedly, the house is never silent when it is dark.
- I could go on, but the history of the Lemp Family is a case study on bad decsions, bad luck and bad deeds.
There are obviously more on the list, and as Google is apt to do through crowd-sourcing, they will be adding more over time, so you may want to bookmark this page.
Here is the complete list, with map included