When you are a smoker, you kind of expect some kind of health concerns. If you are lucky, nothing happens.
However, not everyone can be lucky.
One man in England went to the doctor, after many years of smoking, he found himself coughing uncontrollably, spitting up discolored mucus and had felt bad for over a year. He even had been hospitalized for pneumonia. So the doctors did a scan and found a spot in his lung.
As you can imagine, the fear of what that means had him a bit scared.
The doctors decided to do some more research and did a bronchoscopy before the made an official diagnosis. And it’s a good thing they did.
It turns out, the spot they say wasn’t cancer…it was a toy street cone.
Seem as though, 40 years ago, he had accidentally inhaled the cone on his 7th birthday. As the story goes from BMJ Case Studies:
“Following the procedure, the patient reported that he regularly played with and even swallowed pieces of Playmobil during his childhood…He recalled being given this Playmobil set for his seventh birthday and believes he aspirated the toy traffic cone soon after.”
Where this case was odd, while children inhale things like this all the time, the time it took for symptoms to occur is very unusual.
The doctors did say,
On a positive note, his symptoms improved markedly and he finally found his long-lost Playmobil traffic cone in the very last place he would look.”