Uh Oh! Looks like there is trouble brewing on AI…and it isn’t even on the set. Heck, I don’t even think a set has been built.
What we know:
- ABC bought the rights to reboot AI
- They announced Katy Perry was enlisted as the first judge at a whopping $25million
- They spent a LOT of time convincing Ryan Seacrest to come back as the host and he is still making less than Katy Perry
- The total talent budget for AI is $40 million, which now leaves a paltry $5million for anyone else to join the show
- The producers have yet to land any other judges, even though Nikki Sixx and Luke Bryan have been approached and both have said No.
- The producers of the show, even offered Luke Bryan perks with Disney which could include naming rights and merchandising, in lieu of cash. So far, Luke isn’t interested.
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson were approached and both went to The Voice.
- Katy Perry has suggested that that she would like to work with Lionel Richie and Charlie Puth, but there has been nothing said about that suggestion at all.
- Katy Perry is planning on going back out on the road for her tour, so she may not be available to be on the show, during the prime rating season.
- Now it looks like Ryan Seacrest may have some scheduling conflicts that will cause even further delays.
And STILL, there isn’t a complete judge’s panel.
This is all very bad news for anyone excited about American Idol’s return and the possible rivalry with The Voice.
Looks like things are changing. Luke Bryan has decided to be judge #2 on American Idol, so things are progressing. As of right now, we don’t know 2 things:
- What did they offer Luke Bryan that changed his mind
- Who judge #3 will be.
To be Continued…